Friday, March 9, 2007

QotW6: Bonus Mission #1

I love when people get caught in the act for something that they should not do. That's why I often use my phone camera to capture people's embarrassing acts.



Above is one of the embarrassing acts that I and my friend caught in my dad's office. This poor guy is one of my dad's employee, and he was asleep during the office hour! He even snored very loud... :) I know that this guy will be in trouble if i show this video to my dad. That's why I just keep it as my own documentation (and thank God that my dad doesn't even know that youtube.com exists!)

A friend of mine caught another silly action when we were on the train.



In his study, Sullivan (2006) defined privacy as "to be left alone". In the era where phones are attached with built-in camera, people can no longer be "left alone". Now you can feel the danger of doing whatever things you feel like doing in front of public. There are people out there (including me :) ) who would love to caught our silly and stupid actions on their camera. In addition, there is a medium called youtube.com (I'm sure all people in the world know about this, except my dad :p) where you can upload the video to be seen by all the users!

However, this technology advance of built-in camera might also bring benefit to certain circumstances. Our classmate, Yepp, has posted a video as his bonus mission, showing two guys who did not park their vehicles at the right place, and another guy caught their face and their vehicles' number on the video. In this case, I can say that people can use the technology advance as a surveillance. Somehow it might be useful in case you see any crime act going on when you're on your way to school, or anything else that is useful to be caught.

But for the videos that I posted, it's just for fun. :)

Reference

Sullivan, B. (2006) “Privacy lost: does anybody care? MSNBC Interactive. Retrieved on 9 March 2007 from,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15221095/print/1/displaymode/1098/

7 comments:

Renhao said...

Great videos exemplifying panveillance!

Graham Choo said...

Yo, I just think it's not very nice to post a video of someone displaying his idiosyncrasies (2nd video) over the Internet. (Not accusing you, just stating the fact). I have a friend who has similar tendencies, but I understand his condition because he suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Another friend of mine is a kleptomaniac and has been caught shoplifting on several occasions. But i think it would be nice and morally justified if we posted videos of the incident and judged her based on her isolated actions.

Just my views :P

the Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the Queen said...

Hey hey,

I thought that you put some percussion background music in the first video, and then i realised that it was actually him snoring!

You are right about the point in your last paragraph. people can really use surveillance to their advantage. rather than just describing to the police what the offender looks like, and what was he wearing, we can now take pictures!

the second video was cute, but he looked like he was staring directly at your friend's camera, so i was wondering, what does one do when you realize that you are being watched?

hmm...

Thank you for the wonderful videos.

Razzle Dazzle

faith said...

i kinda agree and disagree with graham...
it is kinda mean to post such videos up, but if the person doesnt know the man suffers from a disorder, i guess it is excusable?

afterall, ignorance is bliss? haha.

but after netizens like Graham points out the disorder and stuff, i believe awareness would be raised regarding the condition, and people wouldnt be so judgmental in future when they see such behaviour in public.

Its like how ppl with Tourette's syndrome have sudden jerky actions that they cannot control, and would look funny in public and be made fun of. But when people are educated about it, their awareness is raised and they can better understand the condition and what the person is going through.
=)

overall i think you did a fun post... especially the snoring thingy. haahha... you naughty girl! =)

Mariani said...

haha yup, it's quite funny thoguh( the frist video). About the second, I think the person who record it doesnt know that he might be have the disease and neither do you rite?

Cheilla said...

Hey people...

I really didn't mean to humiliate the guy on my 2nd video. I just tried to capture any action that is EXTRAORDINARY, and i thought this guy accidentally showed me. He probably noticed that my friend keeps holding his phone, but he did not have any idea that we were recording his behavior. Don't you think that he might stop us if he found out?

As Mariani said, he might not realized that he was doing such behavior, and I REALLY don't know that it is such a disease as what Graham and Faithy mentioned. SO... I am so sorryyyy.... If you wish that I shd remove the 2nd video, then I'll do it! :)

p.s. Anyway, I just realized that I also have the same behavior as the guy in the 2nd video, even not as "extreme" as his. :P